Armitage's Dimension Logo. Click here to Refresh Main Page.

Forum Index > ArmiTunes > General New Topic Post Reply
 Best method of learning Japanese?

Arsuru
 03/02/16 12:10AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Quote by: krej_kun

Pimsleur language learning on audio cassette is NOT a good start for becoming verbally fluent in Japanese - there were a number of things my Japanese 100 teacher had to set me straight on as I did Pimsleur first, then took the course later Razz

Would you elaborate?

I know the first editions apparently have some unnatural constructs and I've seen some comments about them possibly having natives with nonstandard dialects and non-native speakers. If you really used cassettes I assume that is the case, as I've not seen such criticisms of the newest editions which are supposed to feature all native speakers and better phrases.

I've never used it myself, but I'm curious as the courses are generally well received now.

But let me say… if I behave… can you arrange a spacious hole in the ground? Somewhere nice, make it nice, where the land meets high tide.

Profile Email Website
krej_kun
 03/02/16 12:53PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Arsuru - you've guessed exactly! I don't recall specific examples as this was a while ago, but yes, there were constructs that I inferred from the Pimsleur tapes as being regular but really only were used for one exception. And yes, actual cassette tapes, so likely a very early edition.

Don't get me wrong, Pimsleur was a reasonable introduction, helped me get some basic phrases down quite quickly - absolutely fine if you are only looking for utter basic tourist-level communication (and it served me well for exactly that). But for progressing further, it was not a good foundation as I had to 'unlearn' some things.

I gather that Pimsleur has a pretty good rep for language learning so I expect that more recent editions are better than what I used. Smile

Profile Email
Chrono Valkyrie
 03/15/16 12:16PM  
++++-
Seasoned Veteran

Apologies for the delay in the reply, I've been quite busy with college the past few weeks.

I did some looking into Genki and Hiragana Battle, both of which look super useful! Again, thank you guys so much!

Profile Email
usagi_niban
 03/15/16 12:48PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Games:

http://learnjapanesepod.com/kana-invaders/

Why not trying your life in EASY MODE first?

Profile Email
Lady Miyuki
 03/15/16 07:28PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

I personally like a particular online language teaching site called busuu. It has the generic lessons and such but my favorite things are the online web chats where you can have conversations and practice with people who are native to the language and if you are learning to read and write the language there is a vocabulary and grammar section where you can type short paragraphs and post them to be proofread by other people. You can also proofread for other people. Its a really good site.

If the world ends tomorrow.... I don't give a damn.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.13 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Favorite Songs

You must be logged in to use the Favorites List!

User Functions

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Lost your password?

Chatterblock

Total public Chats: 278977
You must be logged in to post in the Chatterblock!
Auto-Refresh 60 seconds

Last Post: 11/13/19 17:12

Song Search