Armitage's Dimension Logo. Click here to Refresh Main Page.

Forum Index > ArmiTunes > General New Topic Post Reply
 Headphones and Their Companions

SKK
 12/03/14 03:19PM (Read 4461 times)  
++++-
Seasoned Veteran
tired

Hello Everyone,

Being slightly an audiophile Neutral I am curious regarding the headphones that you guys use...

How many headphones do you have?
What are your current headphones that you use the most?
What are the headphones that are used the least?
Your favorite headphone?
What is your dream headphone?

For the audiophiles out there:
What amps do you have?
Any particular impedance for headphones that you prefer?
Any particular brand?
Preference of emphasis for sound, such as emphasis on high range, flat, etc?

Thank you!
SKK

P.S. I understand that the audio quality isn't the best using streaming methods, but, we are assuming the audio source is the best as possible. Wink

>///< https://goo.gl/kdXLSQ https://goo.gl/n20peI

Profile Email
Lord Il
 12/03/14 05:02PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Interesting topic.

I currently use on occasion an old Sony MDR-2 which was given to me as a Christmas gift several years back. As crappy, boring, and as cheap as they look, they actually have served me pretty well for what they are. They have a surprisingly long cord of about 12ft, and have a 1/4" jack (very rare on today's headphones). But believe me when I say they're not my dream headphones by any stretch. They are they only pair I have.

My dream headphones? Interestingly another model from Sony - The MDR7506 (or the sister model, MDR-CD900ST) audiophile grade. They've been manufactured for over 20 years and are still made and sought after today. Heard many good things about them able to make accurate sound reproduction. Better bang for the buck, apparently.

As for what I use them on, either directly into the PC, or an old school Sansui amp (circa 1980) which I inherited from an uncle.
I like music nicely detailed and don't like turning settings so they're too flat.

I've been noticing headphone pre-amps have been available for a few years for those willing to spend a little more to drive their better quality headphones. Many have vacuum tubes! O_O

For the most part I'll listen to everything through my speakers, though.

"i should smack lord right now, but im too disgusted by him >_> my god, sticking a peice of paper in my mouth?! its almost as bad as rape =/" - Demoinai

Profile Email Website
gahman
 12/03/14 09:49PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Hello!

I currently alternate between a pair of Audio-Technica M50s, and a pair of RHA MA750i. I also have a pair of Sony SBH80 bluetooth, and a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-Sport3 for, well, sports.

I don't know if I have a dream pair of headphones, but as a audio engineer I prefer the balanced audio signature, so maybe the Sennheiser HD650, or HD800 for studio use. I also have tried the Shure SRH1540 and I find it really balanced too! The carbon fiber housing makes it really light!

As for amps, I'm not really into them, for me I usually pick a pair of low impedance to pair with my SonyXperia Z1, which native-ly supportsflac and hi-res audio. At home I use a Steinberg ur 22 USB audio interface for audio-work, the headphone output is decent.

Profile Email
SKK
 12/04/14 03:31AM  
++++-
Seasoned Veteran
tired

Without further ado, here is my information...

I have 2 headphones total, 3 if we count ear phones.
I have the Beyerdynamic DT880 and Bose QC15. My favorite is the DT880.
Started out with Bose and then recently got the DT880.

My dream headphone... probably some headphone for portable usage since the DT880 are not very portable.

I have an Altoids box as my primary amp. Yes Altoids box... The official name is the CMOY headphone amplifier, the best of it's kind for the low price range. Quite portable as well.
Also have a Yamaha classical music player that probably has a tube inside but I rarely use it as it is hard to hook up with my Computer. The wires don't have plugs, they have chopped off ends that require screws.

My DT880 are 250 ohms, so I can drive these headphones when ever I do sound tech or mixing.
I prefer Seinheiser for Classical headphones, Bose for mid ranged home speakers, and Beyerdynamic for emphasis of higher tones.

I like my DT880 and primary bought it because I noticed I like emphasis on some higher ranges. Almost chose DT990 but I think even those are too much for me in terms of higher ranges... I cannot have the mid-ranges covered just because of emphasis on low and high.

I am very happy to see that I was not the only one here. Razz

Thanks,
SKK

>///< https://goo.gl/kdXLSQ https://goo.gl/n20peI

Profile Email
Starsan
 12/04/14 11:59PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Currently using the Sennheiser Momentum. Costed a pretty penny (300$) but the sound and looks are exceptional and the money was worth it.

Profile Email
JapanFreak
 12/15/14 01:53PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

hi
i recently become a fan of Sennheiser ! ( i previously used Sony)

Profile Email
Lord Il
 12/15/14 11:41PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

I think one of the best innovations in todays modern, higher-end headphones is the ability to replace the cord so easily. If a cord gets mangled, replace it by unplugging the old cord and then plugging in the replacement. Often in the past such headphones would need to be completely replaced when the cord shorted out... unless you were good with a soldering iron to repair it yourself.

"i should smack lord right now, but im too disgusted by him >_> my god, sticking a peice of paper in my mouth?! its almost as bad as rape =/" - Demoinai

Profile Email Website
manx
 12/16/14 04:05AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Sennheiser HD-600 primarily. I also have a HD-555 for my electric piano.

For my windows laptop I use the headphones that came with my Samsung Galaxy S3. I just play games and stuff with it so it usually suffices. I also have some Sennheiser anti noise headphones that I only use when traveling.

I guess HD-600 is my recommendation. It's good quality, easy on your ears and also easy to maintain, since spare parts are available. Ok, it's not the cheapest one around, but on the bright side you won't need to buy a new one every. I've replaced the cable once (ruined the first one with my chair) and just recently got new ear pads.

QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT, ALTUM VIDETUR.

Profile Email
Neuromancer
 12/18/14 12:37PM  
++++-
Seasoned Veteran

Hey there!

I'm currently alternating between 4 pairs:

Some Panasonic headphones I use on the piano (don't remember the model right now).
Grado sr60, open, uncomfortable, and sort of hard to drive, but sound great
ATH-A900X, closed, very comfortable, "too" easy to drive, reference headphones (little cold for my taste)
Monoprice 8320's for traveling, cheap, sound very good for their price

I'm between amps right now Frown

Profile Email
usagi_niban
 01/11/15 11:57AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

The one and only headphones for armitunes listeners:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201501/08069207.html

Why not trying your life in EASY MODE first?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.18 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Favorite Songs

You must be logged in to use the Favorites List!

User Functions

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Lost your password?

Chatterblock

Total public Chats: 278327
You must be logged in to post in the Chatterblock!
Auto-Refresh 60 seconds

Song Search