Armitage's Dimension Logo. Click here to Refresh Main Page.

Forum Index > ArmiTunes > Announcements New Topic Post Reply
 ArmiTunes is Moving to a New Server!

Armitage
 02/17/14 05:16PM (Read 4966 times)  
AAAAA
Admin

Hey all,

This thread is for status updates about the impending server move. You heard right, ArmiTunes is moving to a much more powerful server with a faster Internet connection. For the first time in our >15 year history, the site won't be running on a hand-me-down PC running under my desk at home!

The new server is located in a datacenter in Montreal, Canada. It is a quad-core Xeon with 32GB of RAM, redundant disk and 200Mbit network capacity (compared to the current old Core 2 Duo with 4GB, no redundancy and 15Mbit/sec). So, it should be a whole bunch faster.

My goals here are to provide a faster web experience, more streams, modernize the encoder software, and do it all while saving some money (business class fiber-to-the-home isn't cheap!).

Step 1 of the move was completed today: the machine was installed and I set up a test 1000 listener relay on it. Please hammer away at this thing and we'll see if it works as well as advertised before moving on to Step 2.

Thanks for your continued support and enjoy the tunes!

-Armitage

Profile Email Website
Tamarinde
 02/18/14 02:33AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

New shiny server! Big Grin

I was hoping that maybe we can get a slightly higher bitrate on both MP3 and AAC

Profile Email
Tatsuhiko1
 02/18/14 11:56AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

I like it. I was able to grab the stream quicker than with half of the others and no weird sounds like some of the others. Very nice Armi.

Profile Email Website
Lady Miyuki
 02/18/14 01:54PM  
++++-
Seasoned Veteran

Im excited and am loving the new server, i was able to conect almost instantly!! Big Grin

If the world ends tomorrow.... I don't give a damn.

Profile Email
Armitage
 02/18/14 05:58PM  
AAAAA
Admin

I'm copying the whole web tree to the new server now which is probably around 10GB. I've limited the transfer speed so it shouldn't interfere with the stream but the site may be a little slow for a while. Let me know if anyone experiences any big problems. Thanks!

-Armitage

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Finch
 02/18/14 09:46PM  

Well, that would explain why the website looked funny on my computer. Congratulations on getting a new server! Here's to many more good years on this amazing website. Big Grin

Anonymous: onurtag
 02/19/14 02:08PM  

Nice! faster everything
That good old core 2 duo did his job well surviving this long Smile

megakill12
 02/21/14 11:42AM  
++++-
Seasoned Veteran

new server yesshhhhhhh Cool Cool

Profile Email
Armitage
 02/21/14 09:47PM  
AAAAA
Admin

Now copying all the music files to the new server. It's probably going to take 3-5 days. It shouldn't affect the stream any.

The Armitage NJ MP3 relay will be going away at the end of the month. If you use this one a lot, please make note and switch to another (or try out the new Canadian) relay.

Thanks!

-Armitage

Profile Email Website
Lord Il
 02/21/14 11:19PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Quote by: Armitage

The Armitage NJ MP3 relay will be going away at the end of the month. If you use this one a lot, please make note and switch to another (or try out the new Canadian) relay.

I appreciate that info, Armi. I've had the New Jersey relay saved in Windows Media Player and have just automatically used it for years. I guess I'll try out that new Canadian relay, eh? Wink It's kinda, almost, sorta in my backyard, so to speak.

"i should smack lord right now, but im too disgusted by him >_> my god, sticking a peice of paper in my mouth?! its almost as bad as rape =/" - Demoinai

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.08 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Favorite Songs

You must be logged in to use the Favorites List!

User Functions

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Lost your password?

Chatterblock

Total public Chats: 276847
You must be logged in to post in the Chatterblock!
Auto-Refresh 60 seconds

Song Search