Armitage's Dimension Logo. Click here to Refresh Main Page.

Forum Index > ArmiTunes > General New Topic Post Reply
 Help me with my English

nicanor5
 11/23/12 06:06PM (Read 3115 times)  
+++++
Rock Legend

Hello everyone,

Let me start by talking a bit about myself.

I'm from the beautiful land of Colombia, yeah, that's right, Colombia, that country in the north of South America you may have heard of before. And though we may have a few problems over here, I really recommend you to come visit some day, it is a very beautiful land full of warm people.

Ok, now the reason I'm asking for your help is because I need to improve my English speaking and conversation skills, I consider my skills in reading, writing and listening quite good, but I still feel I need to be more fluent when talking to someone. I need this, first because I would like to study in other countries in the future and second because this semester I'm seeing my last mandatory English course at college, and I'll have a quite difficult final exam and I want to be prepared.

So, if anyone would like to get in touch with me to chat or better audio-chat, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you very much.

PS. And if you need help with Spanish, don't hesitate to ask. ^_^

Profile Email
dinochan
 11/24/12 09:39PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

first off where you said "other country" you should have used "countries" the plural form, yeah English is evil, and I'm a native speaker. I still can't spell half the words I know properly! But any way your wrighting is very good!

Profile Email
Lotherein
 11/27/12 12:41PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

^ Writing, as for your, I still get confused so "You are" is a better option.

Profile Email
dinochan
 11/28/12 09:59PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Huh? I think I used it right O.o Your is possesive right? Please tell me if I'm right or not!

Profile Email
mrbenz
 11/28/12 10:22PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

I'm quite sure you are right, dinochan.
I'm no native English, but like the OP, want to practice speaking and conversation more.
I consider my writing and reading skill is quite good, yet have problem when I speak.

OP, let's try hard together. (Though I'm not in dire need like him/her)

Good karma, Good enough

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: GarbageCan
 11/29/12 01:04AM  

Yeah, 'your' is possessive/genitive. 'You're' is... 'You are'.

dinochan
 11/29/12 04:42PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Thank you! I was slightly concerned, I know my spelling is HORRID but that would have been imbaressing

Profile Email
Lotherein
 11/30/12 03:41PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

i never get your or your'e right so meh >.>

Profile Email
Cheezburgr
 12/01/12 02:30PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Quote by: Lotherein

i never get your or your'e right so meh >.>

You're means "you are", that said, you can use you're in the same way you use "you are", but it's a faster way and its more convenient in non-formal speech.
Take for example, "You're crazy!", it means the same thing as "You are crazy!". The general point of it is to tell something to somebody, like "You're not ready for your exam".

Your is all about possession, take for example "This is your book". That book is his property, that's all that is to "your" as far as I'm aware, I'm not a native speaker.

They sound roughly the same when pronounced, which is why people mistake them for eachother in writing, or because they look similar.
For example:

"Your crazy!" This literary means that a certain "crazy" belongs to you, something like "HIS crazy(object or person or whatever), and it's incorrect without the context.

The correct form is "You're crazy!" which means that HE is crazy, and not that something crazy belongs to him.

I hope I helped ^__^

Profile Email
Lord Il
 12/02/12 05:24PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

My first language is english and I tend to use contractions a lot with speaking and writing.
But..

My suggestion for anyone wanting to write and speak english is to avoid using contractions until you are more familiar, fluent and comfortable with the language first. There is nothing really wrong with saying something like "will not" instead of the contraction of "won't" for example. I have heard it said many times that english can be confusing to learn. Keep it basic at first to avoid difficulties. Wink

"i should smack lord right now, but im too disgusted by him >_> my god, sticking a peice of paper in my mouth?! its almost as bad as rape =/" - Demoinai

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.14 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Favorite Songs

You must be logged in to use the Favorites List!

User Functions

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Lost your password?

Chatterblock

Total public Chats: 278910
You must be logged in to post in the Chatterblock!
Auto-Refresh 60 seconds

Last Post: 10/16/19 11:49

Song Search