Armitage's Dimension Logo. Click here to Refresh Main Page.

Forum Index > ArmiTunes > General New Topic Post Reply
 its a sad day :(

Dark Ryoko
 03/05/08 10:13AM (Read 979 times)  
+++++
Rock Legend

i dont know if anyone else is aware of this but sadly one of the creators of D&D died yesterday Gary Gygax he was 69
Gygax and Dave Arneson created d & d in 1974 D&D Influences can be seen in pretty much all rpgs and mmorpgs
he will be truley missed..... so if anyone is playing an rpg right now i ask of you please good sir turn of eternal sonata or wow or what ever rpg your playing and take five minutes to remeber the man that pretty much force feed the idea for the game your playing.

damn you Wikipedia what the damn do you know anyways!!!!!

Profile Email
Dark Ryoko
 03/05/08 10:14AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Dungeons & Dragons (abbreviated as D&D or DnD) is a tabletop fantasy role-playing game (RPG) originally designed by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, and first published in 1974 by the Gygax-owned company Tactical Studies Rules, Inc. (TSR). The game is currently published by Wizards of the Coast, a division of Hasbro. It was derived from miniature wargames, with a variation of the Chainmail game serving as the initial rule system.[2] D&D's publication is widely regarded as the beginning of modern role-playing games and, by extension, the entire role-playing game industry.[3]

Players of D&D create characters that embark upon imaginary adventures within a fantasy setting. A Dungeon Master (DM) serves as the game's referee and storyteller, while also maintaining the setting in which the adventures occur. During each game session, the players listen to descriptions of their character's surroundings, as well as additional information and potential choices from the DM, then describe their actions in response. The characters form a party that interacts with the setting's inhabitants (and each other). Together they solve dilemmas, engage in battles and gather treasure and knowledge.[3] In the process the characters earn experience points to become increasingly powerful over a series of sessions. D&D departs from traditional wargaming and assigns each player a specific character to play instead of a military formation. Miniature figures or markers, placed on a grid, are sometimes used to represent these characters.

The early success of Dungeons & Dragons led to a proliferation of similar game systems, such as Tunnels and Trolls,[4] Traveller and RuneQuest.[5] Despite this competition, D&D dominates the role-playing game industry, enjoying a nearly unassailable market position.[6] In 1977, the game was split into two versions: the simpler Dungeons & Dragons and the more complex Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (abbreviated as AD&D or ADnD).[7] In 2000, the simpler version of the game was discontinued and the complex version was renamed simply Dungeons & Dragons with the release of its 3rd Edition.[8] The current version of the game, released in July 2003, is Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5 (also known as the Revised 3rd Edition or D&D3.5). Wizards of the Coast has announced that the fourth edition of the game will be released in May 2008.[9]

As of 2006, Dungeons & Dragons remains the best-known[10] and best-selling[11] role-playing game, with an estimated 20 million people having played the game and more than US$1 billion in book and equipment sales.[12] Dungeons & Dragons is known beyond the game for other D&D-branded products, references in popular culture and some of the controversies that have surrounded it, particularly a moral panic in the 1980s falsely linking it to Satanism and suicide.[13]

Profile Email
Spluuga
 03/05/08 10:18AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

*cough* serves him right *cough*

..I'm your angel. Only a ring away.. You make me violate you. No matter who you are..

Profile Email Website
Dark Ryoko
 03/05/08 10:21AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Quote by: Spluuga

*cough* serves him right *cough*

damn thats kinda cold lo,l no seriously that was cold..................................................... granted i never played d&d and i *censored*ing hate it still one of its incest, once removed cousins, spawned an idea to make a concept that in the end was call ff7 or any other rpg. come on give the dead guy some props? he's kinda a trend setter

Profile Email
Spluuga
 03/05/08 10:29AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

meh.. yeah.. hate DD, the system, the whole elves in green tight pants fighting random monsters which happen to live in the same cave thing.. well true it's not all bad.. but mostly it is.. it's the after effects that are more of a good thing.. *shrugs* yeah it's worth giving at least a bit credit.. And DD is not an rpg.. it's a strategic miniature cave adventure thing..

..I'm your angel. Only a ring away.. You make me violate you. No matter who you are..

Profile Email Website
tworavens
 03/05/08 11:16AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

For those of us who were teenage dorks in the 80's this guy was like the Godfather.

There was little in the way of video games beyond Space Invaders and Donkey Kong, and an awful lot of us spent our weekends messing around with D&D. It was great, before a game had always meant a couple hours around a board or video games that were little more than colored squares shooting at each other. Suddenly we had this amazing game that let us do anything we wanted, make whole worlds.

Most of us did start out with the improbable cave full of monsters which were basically videogames in paper form before videogames became complex enough to do that.

For a number of us though, we wanted more. We created entire planets with histories, cultures, nations, cities, political intregue and systems of trade. The largest campagin I did DMing had a story arc that took us five years to complete, and covered over 20 years in game time.

It became our first attempts at writing fiction, trying out amature acting skills, and by interpreting the rules, exercises in arbitration and logic. My friends and I have gone on to become writers, painters, actors, lawyers, business execs, and programmers, and all of us would give credit to D&D as being where we first started trying out our future skills.

I have seen the future, and it is round and cute.

Profile Email Website
vash_the_stampid
 03/05/08 02:22PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Yeah i hear that last night on Attack of the show on G4, i was like damn that sucks.

Love and Peace!!!!!

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.13 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Favorite Songs

You must be logged in to use the Favorites List!

User Functions

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Lost your password?

Chatterblock

Total public Chats: 279149
You must be logged in to post in the Chatterblock!
Auto-Refresh 60 seconds

Song Search