Armitage's Dimension Logo. Click here to Refresh Main Page.

Forum Index > ArmiTunes > Suggestions New Topic Post Reply
 Common song naming pattern & manual song renaming

Orcane
 07/21/16 09:55AM (Read 1474 times)  
++++-
Seasoned Veteran

Hello there,

one thing that slightly bothers me about the song request feature is that the songs don't follow a strict naming pattern. Of course, I understand that it would be an enormous amount of work to change that now with so many songs present in the database..
However, after reading the latest news entry and learning that a manual song upload feature is going to be added, I think that this is a great opportunity to introduce a common naming pattern for the songs that are going to be uploaded in the future.

The users would have to agree on a naming pattern.
An example: Artist - Song Title [optional: - (Anime Title)]

My idea would be to let the website interpret the file name of songs that are to be uploaded - and reject them if they don't follow the common pattern.
Of course the user would be notified by a popup message that the upload failed and given an example of how to name the songs in question, so that they can make it work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for currently existing songs, I have seen forum topics on song name changes. I'm not sure how frequently these requests are granted, but I'm sure that no one would like to shoulder the work of renaming the almost the whole database. :-)
So I thought that users could perhaps be given the opportunity to rename songs themselves in the website software. I'm sure that this topic was already covered in other discussions and I'm aware that such a feature could be abused. However I wanted to mention that idea.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment.

Deceive the world.

Profile Email
bellsworth46
 07/21/16 10:44AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Orcane, we used to have a common pattern of how to name files. It was Artist-Album for the folder and songTitle for the actual mp3. It is not like this right now due to the fact that Raychan is currently just using his personal music collection and simply got songs available without taking the time to rename all ~300 songs that he has available now. There will also be some way that will be required to name the songs, but as Raychan has not gotten the file uploading done yet, we don't know how that will be.

Profile Email
Orcane
 07/21/16 04:06PM  
++++-
Seasoned Veteran

Thanks for the quick reply bellsworth.
That's good to know. I'll wait then.

Deceive the world.

Profile Email
Sailor Moon
 07/22/16 01:08PM  
MMMMM
working

Bells - you are correct. There was a standard naming procedure in place before the transfer and It would be my assumption that Raychan would keep something similar. In the past, if something was not named correctly, Armi would either not accept the upload or rename it himself if he could make out what it was. I doubt Raychan would make too many drastic changes and try to keep the naming format simple for all those who would like to share their songs.

While I am sure Raychan would appreciate the help in "cleaning up" the database, I am not sure how keen he would be with giving a bunch of random people access to that sort of thing. That is a lot of trust to place in someone who may or may not truly know what they are doing if they get access to the back-end systems. So I could see Raychan possibly saying thanks but no thanks on this one.

Right now everyone just needs to be patient. While the transition happened quickly, my guess is that Raychan may have had other things on his plate when this was handed to him and he was doing Armi a huge favor by taking this on. I think the very least we can do is give Raychan some time and space to get done what he wants to, given that his life may take priority at times when he would rather try and get things going here. Raychan didn't have to do this and as members we should at least appreciate that AD is still around. Being patient is not easy in the give-me-now mentality of things, but Raychan deserves that much from all of us.

...Sailor Moon says.... you can change the world one A.R.K. at a time. ^_^

Profile Email
raychan
 07/24/16 03:14PM  
AAAAA
Admin

Hoping to give admin access to the uploaded files once I finally get the upload system working. Been way too busy with RealLife(tm)

-Raychan Sig goes there -->.

Profile Email
bellsworth46
 07/26/16 10:59AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Raychan! You're not dead! Razz Glad to hear that it is just RL getting in the way as usual

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.08 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Favorite Songs

You must be logged in to use the Favorites List!

User Functions

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Lost your password?

Chatterblock

Total public Chats: 278911
You must be logged in to post in the Chatterblock!
Auto-Refresh 60 seconds

Last Post: 10/16/19 16:39

Song Search