Armitage's Dimension Logo. Click here to Refresh Main Page.

Forum Index > ArmiTunes > General New Topic Post Reply
 Anime from 90's and year 2000

Zefy
 11/15/15 10:45PM (Read 3506 times)  
+++++
Rock Legend

I notice that the Anime in the 90's and earlier were lacking in color and the style of the characters were drawn differently. Once the year 2000 rolled around things changed quite a bit the drawings and the color look so much different. Was this an artist making a jump into something new and what was the anime that changed how everything is done. Or was it just the computers got much better and can display billions of colors.

Just wondering if anyone new the answer,

Zefy

Profile Email
Armitage
 11/18/15 08:38AM  
AAAAA
Admin

I don't know the answer but I suspect you're on to something with the advancement and greater use of computers in the production process. Also, from the 90's to the 00's was the switch from analog media (VHS) to digital as well as the advent of high definition displays so those advancements probably are reflected in the style differences as well.

-Armitage

Profile Email Website
AY
 11/18/15 03:54PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Yeah, there was kinda a revolution in 2000. Vandread was, as far as I know, one of the first anime to use extensive amounts of CG. Earlier anime had used it, but very little and only as parts of the screen.

That said, each decade since the 60's has had a "main style", so to speak, and that has evolved a lot over the years.
Nowadays it's more that we have styles depending on genres, in my opinion. Compare, if you wish, a typical slice-of-life anime with a typical fighting anime. They are rather different in style, but very similar to their "friends". That goes not only for drawing, but also colours, shading and lighting.

You're not as sane as you think I am, and I'm not as sane as you wish I was.

Profile Email
Arsuru
 11/18/15 04:37PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

I think it'll be really hard to narrow down any key points in style change without significant research as there are so many variables involved, so a lot of this style portion is really just conjecture.

I'm sure popular franchises or illustrators, especially character designers, would have a significant influence, but outside influences such as fashion and design trends play a part as well. It's easy to see that designs in every field have shifted more towards minimalism and curves, and anime has followed suit, particularly in the all-important faces. Shifts to digital illustration probably played a part, and I can't help but imagine sometimes unreasonable deadlines did as well, especially given the increased workflow of digital. You can't forget that an artist's style constantly evolves. It's especially evident with long-running series and/or long-published mangaka, and sometimes it's rather dramatic.

However, regardless of era there have always been different styles, with the greatest contrast generally between typified shounen and shoujo, but plenty of variation within. Some things typified each decade, and much of the designs you find are borderline indistinguishable from one another within a certain timeframe. Being such a competitive and profit-driven industry, you have a ton of repetition. You'll find that in manga – surely in no small part to deadlines – that screentones are the norm and tracing photographs is common enough, even sometimes for characters. This repetition leads to a lot of things looking the same. A fine example is the moe phenomenon. What's poplar sells, influences, gets copied, and we end up with a given style being associated a genre. It's an ever-evolving flow of constant influence.

As for the color issue, it's not exactly about computers specifically, but the move to digital certainly had an impact. Generally, the increase in color probably has most to do with information bandwidth though, part of which is used by audio as well. It's limited by the storage medium (broadcast, VHS, LD, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.), and the final picture can be affected by the display and yes, codecs and operating system, but for the most part its the encoding that affects the quality. The short version is that yes, we can capture more detail and loose less in the conversion and our devices can display a higher dynamic range and color depth because technology is more advanced.

Note that I'm not a video encoder, so a lot of this is just stuff I have a passing knowledge of, but I know quite a bit about photography and much of it is applicable as there is plenty of relevant overlap.

Animation used to always be done by photographing layered, hand-painted cels. The original source would usually loose some detail when being converted for broadcast or another storage format. Film has a pretty high dynamic range (which, in this case, corresponds directly to the amount of contrast and colors able to be captured) that digital capture is only recently approaching. VHS, DVD, etc., can only handle so much information from the source. Consequently you'd usually loose some detail in conversion and you end up with lower contrast and less vibrant colors, crushed blacks and blown highlights.

The move to digital workflow has allowed more consistency in color, especially in the moving parts which would lay on top of the background cel. They would usually be noticeable beforehand due to color variation caused by uneven light penetration of cels even if they use the same pigment. Crumbling cliffs or falling rocks are a common example. This, combined with deadlines, is probably one reason for the ubiquitous phenomenon of seeing eyebrows through hair (more in anime than manga), which would have been incredibly time-consuming to animate otherwise, and which seems less common now.

The potential dynamic range is higher also in digital. Digital can be potentially of unlimited resolution, but seeing as the digital landscape is so changing, I'm guessing animation studios didn't think too much about forward compatibility when they started using digital, which is probably why some Blu-Rays have even ended up looking worse than DVDs. Even if they were drawn digitally, they may not have been in an especially high resolution or losslessly scaleable format, or the studio was just lazy. Even now, some think that not using film is limiting the future remastering potential as digital still isn't quite at the same level.

And this is where displays play a part. What type (CRT, LCD, etc.) affects many things. Dynamic range of a display is limited in the forms of light and color space. 10-bit color was a big deal a few years ago. With it, there is more information given to color, so colors more accurately represent the source material, and as a consequence, you have more vibrant, nuanced colors, less banding, and with a smaller file for the given quality. Even if a display can't display such high color space, the result still looks better as the source has more information to work with.

But let me say… if I behave… can you arrange a spacious hole in the ground? Somewhere nice, make it nice, where the land meets high tide.

Profile Email Website
krytos
 11/21/15 07:43AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

I still like anime for then fave are tenchi and el hzard but yea what armi said and ay

Profile Email
Angel Naomi
 11/23/15 03:22PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Computers became more widely-used and distributed, which means a change in how cartoons and anime were created. I personally like the hand-drawn styles a lot more than the CGI.

Profile Email Website
Zefy
 12/30/15 05:55PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Thanks for you all on the reply specially Arsuru.

It's interesting that the earlier anime characters where drawn more Japanese and than somewhere in the later 90's the style changed and big eyes and crazy waterfall crying. It's gotten better somewhat.Smile

Computers became more widely-used and distributed, which means a change in how cartoons and anime were created. I personally like the hand-drawn styles a lot more than the CGI.

I agree that I do like the hand drawn over CGI, but I understand that there is so much competition that they need to get it out to make there money.

Profile Email
usagi_niban
 03/18/16 11:00AM  
+++++
Rock Legend

Wrong thread, but if you happen to be around:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/events/2016/03/12/things-to-do/culture-entertainment-things-to-do/animejapan-2016/#.VuwWNfhIx2U

Why not trying your life in EASY MODE first?

Profile Email
Tsurumaru
 03/28/16 03:15AM  
++++-
Seasoned Veteran

I remember the animation of the original Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon. That was probably the anime HD of back then. Early 90s clothes and bright colored animation!

Waiting for another dance, another time.

Profile Email
canogj
 03/29/16 12:18PM  
+++++
Rock Legend

There are many series I love from the 90's but if you really want to see something amazing from that era that you probably have not watched yet, look for "A wind named Amnesia":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108570/

great art, story and animation that we don't see nowadays. It's not about old vs. new or arguing what is better, it's about appreciating the differences.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.15 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

Normal Topic Normal Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Favorite Songs

You must be logged in to use the Favorites List!

User Functions

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Lost your password?

Chatterblock

Total public Chats: 279004
You must be logged in to post in the Chatterblock!
Auto-Refresh 60 seconds

Last Post: 11/18/19 13:44

Song Search